The Secret To Looking Younger

1 CommentWednesday, 31 May 2017  |  Admin

Today I want to share an interesting article about how our lifestyle choices affect the ageing process. 

Dr. Sara Gottfried, an expert for all over-forty health concerns, gives us insights and tips on many dietary, exercise and skin health related issues which can be improved and in some cases reversed.

  • We don’t age overnight. We don’t wake up one morning having shifted from the full bloom of youth into geriatric diapers and arthritic knees. We age every day, and simultaneously, we are renewing every moment. So the habits of today create the health of tomorrow. It doesn’t matter how old you are today; starting from childhood, the choices you make in the present will impact the body, mind and spirit of tomorrow.'

Here are a few excerpts for you and I am sure you will be diving more into the details of this fab Q & A (find link below):

  • Genetics loads the gun, and the environment pulls the trigger. Only 10 percent of disease is caused by genes—some of which we can turn on and off—and the other 90 percent is lifestyle, says Gottfried. So we actually have an extraordinary amount of control over the length of our healthspan (years of good health) and the grace with which we age (on the inside and outside).
  • How does ageing affect our Muscles, Brain, Hormones, Gut, Weight, Collagen Levels
  • The Toxic Fat Factor: Toxins from the environment accumulate in your fat—scientists call them gerontogens. Similar to how carcinogens increase your risk of cancer, gerontogens can cause premature aging.
  • Exercise: exercise can also make a (youthful) difference on our skin—can you explain some of the science behind this?
  • Longevity: Learn about longevity from studying other cultures
  • What are simple adjustments we can make that help us age more healthfully and gracefully?

Ageing is inevitable, and there should be beauty in the process for women. How can we recognise and celebrate this as/for women in our forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, and so on?

Link here to the detailed article

 

 


Loraine McGillivray
Friday, 29 September 2017  |  4:31

I try to eat fairly healthily and I've always used good quality skincare. I'm the palest of the pale and I've never sunbathed as I don't tan. The sun is responsible for a huge amount of skin aging and my skin looks better than someone who has baked themselves for many years. However I'm not convinced genetics don't play a part. I have fairly severe osteoarthritis at the age of 45, which my mum also developed in her forties (requiring a double hip replacement prior to turning 50). My gran also had mobility problems as did her mother before her. We all (including my three sisters) also have a variety of other autoimmune conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, hayfever, asthma, endometriosis, PCOS etc. That would seem to be more than a 10% genetic component when we're all afflicted by one or more of this type of condition. Food for thought perhaps.